Sunday, August 31, 2014

Exodus of August

Dear August (aka Summer): I insist you stick around longer!!!


I am not ready to let summer go just yet. Yes, technically it is still here for several weeks, but most of us suffer from that end-of-summer illusion when Labor Day comes around.

I do enjoy that extra day we I worked hard for all year. I guess I will have either yesterday or tomorrow count as the "bonus day" since today wasn't too holiday-like.

Carter and I got up early for church. Following the 8 a.m. service, we had in informational meeting sharing next steps to getting a new pastor now that ours have officially left the building. While I was hoping for a "looking forward" type focus, I came away feeling a bit negative. I guess churches are no more immune from politics than any other organization. Praying we all keep proper focus.

After that, I went grocery shopping and Carter met up with some friends to go to the Central Wisconsin Fair in Marshfield. He went yesterday, too. Knowing he doesn't really care for rides at his age, I can only surmise he is meeting up today with a girl a met yesterday. That better go no further than the month of August on the calendar! He doesn't need any distractions from school.

(Do as a I say, not as I did as a boy-crazy teenager!)

This afternoon, I did my Saturday chores and got a 4-mile run/walk in. I decided that would count as my sun time (sorry, Mr. Deck Chair and friends). It was pretty warm out. I walked part of the route, which was a good thing since I found a penny. You wonder what my running speed is? Well, I can spot a penny and pick it up and not break stride. Ha. Can't turn your back on luck – or run (walk) past it.

I did meet up with Mr. Deck Chair after supper, but those pesky Skeeters were cramping our space. So I had to move inside to read a bit. Called my mom to see how she was doing. She's doing just fine and was happy to spend the day with her sister... going to some garage sales. (So help me if we need another Dumpster!)

Shouldn't cast stones. I still have plenty to do around here. Don't remind me that I have an "extra day" tomorrow to do it, either. The September page of our calendar shows we've got plans, rain or shine. We're movin' on.

Thanks for visiting, August!





No comments: