Monday, August 18, 2014

Flash Flood



It dawned on me today that God probably has Noah on speed dial for occasions like today. I don't recall the last time we were actually in a Flood Warning, but it certainly made sense once I ventured outside.

I knew there was like an 80% chance of rain today so I wisely packed an umbrella in the car this morning. Doesn't do me any good when it's in the trunk and I'm running from my office out to the car, now does it?

The ride home was crazy rainy. It would let up, then I'd see the lightning, then it was start pouring again. I had to make a stop at KwikTrip and Wal-Mart. I basically could not see a thing driving there on Griffith Avenue. Apparently, my hybrid windshield wipers cannot keep up with torrential rains. Made it safely, though, and that's what counts.

When I got to Wal-Mart, I sat in my car and wondered if it would let up or if I'd have to make a run for it. I sat for a few minutes then splashed my way to the entrance. For the record, that does count as my run today. After I was done shopping, it had let up a little but had caused some real-life flooding in the area. My normally short route home was detoured due to water over the road.

And take a look at our driveway (above). It's never gotten this much rain that fast. Carter had to walk through a lake from his car to the house. As much as I brag up my kid, you'd think he could walk on water, right?

It did not get him a free pass out of either of his cross country practices today either. Had to dig out the "boot dryer" though so he can practice again in the morning – with dry shoes. And based on the radar, get them wet again tomorrow.

I might have to see if I can find Noah on Facebook. I'm sure I'm not the only one singing: And God said to Noah, "We're gonna build an arky, arky..."


No comments: