Tuesday, August 26, 2014

When the Fog Lifts

We got hit with a pretty major storm in the Rapids area on Monday morning. Like 4:30 a.m. when sirens may or may not have gone off and we did not hear them because one, we were asleep, and two, it was so blasted hot and humid we had the windows shut and the air on.

I actually thought the "real storm" was just starting as I was heading to work shortly before 7 a.m. It was raining and lightning was zig-zagging across the sky. But when I got out onto the main roads, I saw the storm damage.

The road was littered with leaves and tree branches of all sizes. It wasn't until later that I learned I saw the least of it. Some structures were seriously damaged by fallen trees and there were thousands without electricity.

Guess we were fortunate to not have damage or lose power. Would hate to miss that Monday morning alarm!

On the way to work, though, it was both rainy and foggy but I still noticed a new caution sign in Plover, a town I can't avoid (twice a day). Although I couldn't see clearly with the windshield wipers going rapidly, I thought it said something about exiting if you are overweight. I thought, "I gotta get a picture of that tomorrow!" A message from the fitness gods to the chronic yo-yo dieter.

So today, I remembered and had camera phone ready. However, once the rain stopped and the fog lifted, I got a different message:


So I guess if you are OVERHEIGHT, you should exit right. Well so not MY exit after all.

Looks like I can remain "vertically challenged" AND, as long as there are no warning signs, enjoy a piece or two of that zucchini bread I just took out of the oven!


No comments: