Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Quick Learner






You can imagine how surprised I was to hear my cell phone ring at work this afternoon. Turns out, someone was finally calling from the soup can at the other end of the string.

My first reaction to seeing Carter's number pop up is that something must be wrong. He rarely calls and mainly texts – when he does choose to communicate.

Today, though, it was just an honest-to-goodness effort at communicating. He was letting me know he was done with work but at the lake and told me when he'd be home. He's a quick learner! Makes me wonder if I should teach him some more lessons.

Of course, I have learned a thing or two this week, too. Like not assuming the worst when we don't hear from him. And realizing there are some things he's just going to have learn to do on his own – without my prompting, a.k.a. nagging.

Will he get his 3 books read before school starts? That's not my problem.

Wow. I felt so brave typing that but you know I don't actually THINK that way.  In my mind, it is my problem, too, because I don't want MY child to fail in some way. I know the reality is that we learn many of our life lessons by failing first. It's just hard to let go and let it happen.

Maybe he'll be a quick learner about that, too.

I hope so. I should not be the only one stressing about school already!

Just 3 weeks away and counting down...




No comments: