Sunday, August 3, 2014

Life's a Picnic Somedays

Today is one of my favorite Sundays of the year – our church picnic. Well, technically it's our Worship in the Park outdoor service followed by a potluck. No picnic baskets or ants.

The service always features an inspirational music group from the region. Today our worship was accompanied by Dakota Road, a trio from the Dakotas, I guess. Great sound! After the service, we had our meal under the Robinson Park shelter. Always good food and good conversation. I am still full, I think!

Carter had to work today so it was another day of not seeing much of him. I made the most of my time with a 3-mile walk, a little reading (I'm hooked on this book "Defending Jacob") in Mr. Deck Chair, and some baking.

Just a nice picnic of a day!

Since I have two black thumbs, I don't grow anything I can use for cooking or baking. The next-door neighbor gave me some zucchini the other night so I thought I'd give zucchini bread a try. Wow. Yummy stuff. Naturally, I had to throw in some chocolate chips because that's just what I do. (Jim always says I should just call my banana bread "cake"!)

If any of you need a simple recipe, here's the one I used. It is popular with the men in my house, too. But then, they pretty much devour anything I bake. Even on a hot day!

Classic Zucchini Bread

Ingredients:
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoons cinnamon

3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla
2-3 cups shredded zucchini

Directions:
  • Spray two 8 x 4 inch pans with non-stick cooking spray and preheat oven to 325 degrees.
  • Mix together flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon in a bowl.
  • Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, white sugar and brown sugar together in a large bowl. Add dry ingredients to the wet mixture and beat well. Stir in zucchini until well combined.
  • Pour batter into prepared pans.
  • Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan and let cool completely.
  • Makes 2 loaves. (It actually made 3 loaves for me but I had normal, not large bread pans)

Good luck, Green Thumbers!


No comments: