Sunday, August 17, 2014

Surprise Family Reunion

You might question the wisdom of throwing a surprise birthday party for an 80-year-old. But as it turns out, hubby's uncle has a strong ticker and he got the biggest kick out of it.

We headed up to Marathon this afternoon, which you may find on a central Wisconsin map listed as "God's Country" (according to Jim) or the general homeland of both his parents.

There was a very nice crowd of family (on Jim's mom's side) and friends to surprise Uncle Lyle. The nice thing about the event is that it doubled as an impromptu family reunion.

And I'm not just talking about hubby's aunts, uncles and cousin. I mean my in-laws – Dad, Mom, Sherry, Baird and Colin – who I have scarcely seen this summer. With all my travels Up North, Out West and to the Windy City, I haven't been home enough for our paths to cross. Spending the afternoon with them all was a nice treat. Even better than birthday cake.

Honest!

It was also nice to see the few people in my mother-in-law's family that I do know. Don't see them much except at funerals and, well, funerals. So this was good to have them all together for a happy occasion.


Jim and sister Sherry (both in blue) enjoyed the family reunion with their cousins who could make it (pictured above) and aunts and uncles.

On the way home, we got a quick tour of God's Country and got to see some of the old homesteads. I was completely lost, but I suppose that's how Jim feels when we venture up to Oh My God Country – which you'll find on the map North of Hwy 8!

Gotta love family.

WE do. Honest!


No comments: