Sunday, August 24, 2014

Bittersweet Sunday

The downside of this Sunday was that it was our last church service led by our husband-and-wife pastoral team who are moving onto greener pastures (we can say that in Wisconsin).

It's been a good 5-year run and they will be missed.

I especially got to know Pastor Josh last summer when I was his Wing woMan on our mission trip to the Ozarks! It was a fun-filled and faith-filled week that I will never forget. Carter got to bond with both of them during camps, backpacking and mission trips, and confirmation classes. It's just not going to be the same.

The upside of this Sunday, though, was that they decided to confirm the 9th-graders while our pastors were still here, rather than waiting until late October. That was nice of them to do. The confirmands still have to go through their month-long "final project" with a mentor this fall, then they will officially, officially be done.

I feel blessed I get to be a part of that. Emily, the daughter of my "half" sister (as in half-marathon partner) Chris, asked me to serve as her mentor.


This entailed confirmation cake before church and again at their house after the Goodbye Potluck. Oh, and I also got to introduce her today in the service, share her scripture verse and stand with her parents and family to pray over her with the pastors. It's a neat privilege and I look forward to getting to know this fine young lady even better!

We got home about 4 p.m. so no sense getting motivated at that point. I did cross the street and cooked up some essential oil salves with my neighbor. If you need anything to help with eczema or need a "sleep stick," let me know.

When I got home, hubby had left to golf with his dad and sister. Carter is out for a run. I could grab the remote right now and claim it as mine. But am I cool enough to watch the VMAs?

I could work off some of that cake trying to keep up with that "young people's music"!



No comments: