Thursday, July 17, 2014

The fun in FUN-draising


I believe there are plenty of millionaires out there, but I'm pretty sure none live in our zip code. And if they do, they don't share our interests enough to harvest their money tree for a good cause. Well, what WE consider good causes.

So we rely on fundraising – for just about everything, it seems.

Today we focused on Germany and baseball. I took the day off so there was no funds raised for the Robyn Fund, which is also a good cause if you are feeling extra generous.

This afternoon, Carter and I helped run the paid parking lot at the state water ski show, always held at Lake Wazeecha, less than 5 minutes away. This year, our Assumption German students got the gig for Thursday and Friday of the four-day event. We are paid a certain overall donation that is not tied to cars parked, which was good since Thursday is the "slow" day with little on the show schedule. All the money we earn will go in the pot for the trip to Germany next summer. Yay.

After our 1-4:30 shift, we came home to eat and then headed to Rudolph for baseball fundraising class. I say "class" because we had to learn something. Our Legion teams will be working in a food tent at the upcoming Wisconsin Farm Technology Days to be held Aug. 12-14 by Stevens Point and Plover. Our lessons tonight involved proper food handling, sanitation, etc, since this is a huge, huge event. Despite mostly volunteers, it will be very professionally run.

What are Farm Tech Days? It is the largest agricultural show in Wisconsin and one of the largest in the nation. The three-day outdoor event showcases the latest improvements in production agriculture, including many practical applications of recent research findings and technological developments. Each year, it is held in a different Wisconsin county – on a different host family farm. Learn more at http://www.wifarmtechnologydays.com/

Naturally, each host county tries to showcase its best features. Which for Portage County will be potatoes, some cranberries, Del Monte veggies, local cheese and, you guessed it, homemade King Cone Ice Cream. I'm not kidding. Tonight I learned there will be 6 food tents and 2 ice cream tents – make that 2 King Cone tents.

Who needs a free farm t-shirt and hat, just give me an ice cream ticket!

Let's just say I'm a little more enthused about that volunteer opportunity than I was before the meeting. It still would be easier just to grow a money tree in my backyard. But you know me and my two black thumbs.

Best to stick with flavorful FUN-draising!








No comments: