Monday, June 22, 2015

Empty Nesters Par-Tee

I'm not going to force you to look at pretty golf photos, especially if you don't golf, but you might enjoy the scenery so stick with me...

We don't always go to super nice courses, but when we do it's usually when we make a golf weekend out of it with our friends Scott and Sandy. They live on a golf course near Green Bay but like to "get out" once in awhile, too, so it works great.

Unfortunately, I am the handicap of the group. All 3 are way better than me but I don't golf enough. I have to learn I can't just golf our usual 2 or 3 summer weekends with them and expect to get better. But I cope. As the saying goes, if you can't be good, look good. Ha, isn't that a saying?

Well we made a pit stop on the way to Green Bay Friday night so hubby could buy me a new (early) "birthday suit" or 2 so I could look good. We especially wanted to be sure it included purple since we were golfing at Thornberry Creek, also considered the "official course" of the Green Bay Packers.

Whatever. Notice the purple flowers? At least they got that right.



It is technically in the village of Hobart (see water tower) and part of the Oneida Nation reservation, which maintains the course.



Nice clubhouse, eh?



The "G" was on all the carts. I only took the picture because I thought this just might be enough to convince some of my Packer-loving sisters to golf!


Arrowhead markers were used to distinguish tee boxes.




Our friend Scott (aka Happy Gilmore) has a 90 mph swing and drives it a mile. I could never swing it back that far and find the ball again on my way back! He's good, though!


Hubby takes a shot on the fairway. We only had a bit of rain during our round Saturday morning but the course was pretty wet from previous precipitation.




The scenery left something to be desired...




Except for the fine, fine, very fine houses showcased around the entire course.

Oh, and these lovely ladies, too!

And my fellow empty-nester! You're starting to see purple!

Our hosts with the most!

Even the flags at that course are purple! Totally sending mixed messages. Like my outfit? That's the main thing! And, yes, we did have a great time. Rain held off until right when we were getting into our cars afterward. Perfect.

Onto Door County...

We got to their place in southern Door County in the mid-afternoon, giving us time to take a nap before dinner. Isn't that what old, empty nesters do? If not, we're starting a trend.


Had dinner at the Glidden Lodge on Whitefish Bay on the Lake Michigan side of the Door Peninsula. Cute place. Excellent, excellent food. I tried a new "catch." How does this tempt your taste buds? Yellow Fin Tuna blackened with a spicy Cajun seasoning, grilled to order and served with a roasted red bell pepper sauce. Oh yes, it was as good as it sounds!


We skipped dessert and went for some after-dinner shots – with the camera that is. It was getting past sunset so the pictures are a little dark. But you get the point: It's beautiful there.







Time for couple shots! I haven't grown taller. Jim just stood on the back slope of the rocks. Smiles courtesy of good food, great friends and a super day.

Scott and Sandy posed for a sweetie pic, too, then led us back to their place for a campfire.

I had one mishap that night. I cut the tip of my ring finger on hubby's razor when I was reaching for something in our overnight bag. There sure was a lot of blood and throbbing pain. But it did not affect my golf game on Sunday.

I still sucked.

But what a nice place! Welcome to Horseshoe Bay on Egg Harbor. It is a private course but Sandy won the foursome pass in a charity auction so they let the riffraff in. Now that's a nice barn-turned-clubhouse, right?

I would rank it the top 5 beautiful courses we've played. Just so well-maintained and excellent photogenic placement of white rock. The mini waterfall is a nice touch. Happy to say I didn't lose my ball in there.

Some unique "bi-level" holes. On this hole, you can drive to the upper fairway on the right or the lower on the left. There wasn't a huge difference and no length advantage. Not like one of the later holes.

I thought this one was pretty. Sort of reminds me of Glacier Woods in Iola, but these rocks were likely hand-placed while the ones in Iola were mostly there naturally from the glaciers.

Horseshoes served as the tee-box markers.

Here's the challenging super bi-level one. If you go between the trees it was the upper fairway and you had to get over some nasty crap to get to the green. The lower one on the left was more straightforward but still challenging getting up to the green. Put it this way, it didn't matter which one I used. It got to my head before I even tee'd off and it was a bad, bad hole for Robyn.

But I looked good. Ha.

Gotta take photos when I can since this is our summer vacation!


The only downside is that we were so close to the bay, but only got to see it on the last hole. It was a great backdrop as we made our way down the fairway. See the rock wall on the right? I guess I was a little obsessed with those rocks. I think I want to use them around our house!

Here's me trying to ignore the scenery and just hit it straight. I did. On that shot at least.

Goofing around while we wait for the group ahead of us to get off the green. Like my other new birthday top? (Who's spoiled??)


Finished up and looked out at the beautiful bay. We had thought it might rain but it turned out to be a perfect day. Mostly sunny but not too hot. Just right.

One more sweetie snapshot before we hit the road to Rapids.

And a final salute to a great Empty Nesters Par-Tee Weekend! Thanks for joining us.

No comments: