Tuesday, June 9, 2015

What a Rush

I forgot to mention that as we were leaving my nephew and niece-in-law's house yesterday, I jokingly suggested to Carter that he should drive us out of the Twin Cities so he could see what it's like.

"Sure," he said. "I might as well get used to it." (Apparently he really liked his tour.)

I asked, "Are you sure? Because it's getting into rush hour time."

He was sure. So I grabbed my book out of my bag and figured I could sit in the passenger seat and finally get started on our Book Club selection, which is due next week.

And it will have to wait. Who was I kidding? Like I'd sit there and relax while Boy Wonder not only navigates stop-and-go traffic but must simultaneously pay attention to road signs and not rear-end the vehicle ahead of us.

Good times.

I played the Nag-igator quite well. As usual. I only applied my "air brake" a half-dozen times. Not too bad. The important thing is that he got us out of Minnesota in one piece and into Hudson, before I had him pull off an exit for a pit stop.

We also changed positions. He said he was fine to keep driving. I was quite glad I decided to take over the wheel when, after less than 15 minutes, someone was sound asleep in the passenger seat. I didn't have to deal with cars and traffic on my 2 1/2 hour stretch, just dozens of deer crossing the road, or getting ready to cross, or hiding out in the ditch to scare me.

I got us back to Rapids in one harried piece, too.

Needless to say, I haven't relaxed enough to get started reading The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry. That will probably be my next Rush Hour (or 2 or 4) next Monday!




No comments: