Friday, June 26, 2015

Rain Delay

Did you ever watch Days of Thunder – that racing movie from way back when with Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman?

Well let me tell you something about Thunder and racing. They don't go together. Not the real Thunder anyway.

It was late afternoon when I started hearing some rumbles. Since the sun was shining, I thought perhaps it was jets flying overhead. We didn't want it to rain because one, we've had enough already and two, we planned to see our nephew Colin race this evening.

It wasn't long before the thunder materialized with its pal lightning and plenty of rain. A hard, fast rain. While that was happening, practice at the race track was delayed, thus, delaying the start of time trials and subsequently, racing.


When it was go time, I donned my Reffner rain gear and we were off! We missed qualifying (Colin qualified 4th for the super late models) but were there for the heat race and feature.

Because of the earlier rains, I did not bring my "big camera." Instead I just used my camera phone to experiment. Low light plus fast action made for crummy pictures. But it was fun tryng. A few for your viewing pleasure...





Colin finished more toward the bottom than the top of the pack, but it was just nice to see him racing. And have a date night to boot.

Tomorrow we may end up seeing him at the Wisconsin Dells race track, depending on weather, mainly, and energy. Right now it's time to wave the white flag – not checkered – and call it a day.

No comments: