Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Virtual Tour :: Part 1

I guess if I say "Part 1" in the blog title I am hoping there will be at least Part 2 and 3 and more...

Carter sent me a few pictures today after some neat tours of a castle, the two main churches in downtown Landshut and other buildings. If you are like me and have never been overseas, I thought you might enjoy this virtual tour along with me...

This is a view a short walking distance from Lukas' house. The city of Landshut is one of Germany's most beautiful Gothic style cities. Since 1839 this city of approximately 63,000 has been the seat of government for Lower Bavaria. It is 810 years old so there is so much that is different from our "new" country.

In this photo you can see one of the churches towering above all other buildings.

 My smart, budding photographer getting all the angles with his smartphone!

 Just beautiful!

This is the Burg Trausnitz Castle, a medieval castle founded in 1204 by Duke Ludwig I. It was the home of the Wittelsbach dynasty, and it served as their ducal residence for Lower Bavaria from 1255–1503, and later as the seat of the hereditary rulers of the whole of Bavaria. (According to Wikipedia, not my son, who probably heard this today as well, though.)

A view of Landshut from the castle.

At first I thought this was one of the churches, but I looked online and it is called Festival Hall. This makes sense, especially if you've been to any productions at the Orpheum Theater in Minneapolis. Ornate is the word! Just gorgeous!

Of course, somebody has to have ice cream (or perhaps gelato) for me! I told Carter thanks and he said, "Any time!" No fair.

That was it for today. Carter said he's having a blast. I can see why. I am definitely getting some trip ideas for my Bucket List!



No comments: