Saturday, June 13, 2020

I Brake For Garage Sales


What better way to break in the car and truly test drive it than taking it out garage sale-ing. It happens this weekend is our township-wide sale so there were probably 60 listed on the map plus other pop-up ones along the way.

I was focused on shopping for my niece's four kids – and myself if I got lucky and found some books I liked. I struck gold with both missions. And Herbie did a super job parking in tight spots and making U-turns on weird side streets. Loving it more by the minute!

It was also a great avoidance tactic for doing yard work. Eventually, though, I had to go home.

I bravely tackled the new vines I showed you the other day. This was not where I saw the snake the other day. But I guess he travels because he was suddenly at my feet when I was pulling weeds. So yeah, you may have heard that scream as I ran down the hill. And he slithered up it.

But I'm not quitter. I kept clearing out vines in the area at the bottom of the hill. Then, since I didn't know where he was headed and where he curled up for a nap, I left the top part alone and the area on the right side of the steps, too. I just kind of thought he maybe sneaked over there. And I didn't need to see him twice in one day.

What I learned is that even my blaring '80s music didn't scare him away, so I almost have to respect that and keep him around. I decided I'll call him Freddie – a safe F-word and representative of an '80s nightmare... on Elm Street then but on Blue Jay Drive now. Uff da.

After I called it quits, I cleaned up and we went to a graduation party for my favorite Vikings fan from church – who we've watched grow up and we know the family (even relatives) and I took his seniors pictures. It was nice to see people again! For a minute there, the world seemed normal again.

I like the a nice world with good friends... and no snakes.

No comments: