Thursday, May 27, 2021

Memory Day


I guess for the rest of my life I'll think of and miss my dad around Memorial Day weekend. I feel bad for people who lose someone around traditional family holidays, like Thanksgiving or Christmas. That is way worse. 

But then, either way we've lost someone so that's hard any day of the year.

It's hard to believe it's been 8 years since Dad's been gone. It was 5:27 p.m. on 5/27 of unlucky '13. And it was Memorial Day that year. The perfect exit for someone who loved his country and loved the flag.

I say he's gone, but he never really left us. I mean all 8 of us kids have his charm, his stubborness, his strong work ethic, his sense of humor, his love for the flag and for polkas, and his need to have an answer for everything... why else do we call ourselves LeRoy 1, LeRoy 2, Le Roy 3, etc?

Eight years seems like a lifetime ago some days and other days, I cry like it's a fresh pain in my heart. 

As we enter Memorial Day weekend and what it really stands for, think about it. We are honoring the memory of countless thousands who gave their lives for this country, leaving countless thousands of loved ones to mourn them... to miss them... to cry for them... no matter how much time has passed.

As usual, I'll remind you to hug your loved ones – especially your parents. Some days it might not feel like it, but you're lucky to have them!


No comments: