Sunday, May 23, 2021

Age is Just a Number

You know what golf strokes and birthdays have in common, right? You'll be happier if you don't count them.

As it happens, my golf score is right around my age. Which you don't need to know. Just know I'm typically between 50-55. And of course, 50 is OLD – if you believe everything you've been hearing on golf media outlets the last few days.

I'm glad 50-years-young Phil Mickelson came through and showed them all at the PGA Championship that age is just a number. And 50 is not a big one. Or an old one. Show Lefty some respect!


I couldn't help but snap some pictures on the last hole when the crowd when wild and followed Phil down the fairway. What pandemic? Apparently social distancing was so last season. I felt nervous for both Phil and Brooks Koepka, who had to make their way through the crowd to get to the green. 

Activate claustrophobia and anxiety now!


It was a crazy sight! But an exciting major to watch (most of them are) – especially on a rainy afternoon.

I did get my walk in before the rain and golf started. I walked over the cemetery to visit my girl Miss Emily. That's a 4-mile round trip so it's good for my health and my soul.


I was encouraged to see that someone had visited and left a rose. I assured Em that flowers may fade, but our love for her never will. She's my reminder to count my blessings while they're here – and be grateful to be here.

Probably shouldn't have said age is just a number. Because it's heartbreaking when it's a low number that will never get bigger. Emily should be completing her junior year of college right now. And she never got to start.

I talked a few weeks ago about May being Mental Health Awareness Month. I urge you to do what keeps your sanity intact, what keeps you calm and relaxed – whether that's sitting in a recliner watching golf for 4 hours or taking a walk or visiting friends or family. 

If that doesn't work, ask for help. 

See that crowd of supporters around a golfer they don't even personally know? Well we have support networks, too, that are larger than we realize. They just need to know you need them. It's tough carrying around regrets that you weren't there for someone, but worse regretting that you needed help and didn't ask.

Let's be human for each other. nami.org

No comments: