Monday, August 9, 2021

Page Turners R Us

Much like National Ice Cream Day, I'd say National Book Lovers Day could be every day – in my world, anyway.

I honestly don't remember a time I didn't enjoy reading. Pretty sure it was my escape method in my teen years. I mean no Internet or cell phones or Netflix back then. So I learned an appreciation of the written word that could take me away to places unknown, in the virtual bodies of main characters who fought, won, lost, rejoiced, cried, and sometimes died before the last page was turned.

When people ask what I like to read, I really can honestly respond "just about anything and everything."

This year alone I have read everything from a nonfiction account of the Flint water disaster to an interesting time travel novel about a character named Addie LaRue to some steamy mindless poolside reads by Lori Foster to – just 5 minutes ago – finishing The Other Einstein, a historical fiction book about Albert Einstein's first wife, who was basically gypped out of getting credit for much of his early work. A little creative license for plot purposes, but based on much fact. Interesting.

So yes, I am all over the place and looking to pick my next world to escape to when I go to bed tonight. Life can certainly be an adventure every day if you let it! 

If you're looking for a good read, here are few of our highest ranked ones from my Face to Face Book Club:

  • The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
  • The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh
  • Defending Jacob by William Landay
  • The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
  • What She Left Behind by Ellen Marie Wiseman
  • Room by Emma Donoghue
  • Moloka'i by Alan Brennert
  • A Man Called Ove, Beartown, and Anxious People, all by Fredrik Backman
  • The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
  • The Girl who Wrote in Silk by Kelli Estes
  • Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate
  • The 7 Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid
  • The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
  • The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris
  • Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
  • Becoming by Michelle Obama
  • Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng
  • The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson
  • American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins
  • The Water Keeper by Charles Martin
  • The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane by Lisa See
  • The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by EB Schwab
  • This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger
  • The Lost Apothecary by Sarah Penner

OK, that's more than a few suggestions. I guess we have been meeting monthly more than 7 years, though! This just touches the surface and includes ones we rated higher than 4 on our 5-point scale.

Any other suggestions? Let me know!


No comments: