Friday, November 12, 2021

Gratitude Challenge Day 12 :: Song

Today's a tough challenge – only because again, I have way more examples than necessary.

Day 12. A favorite song.

Just one? I could almost cheat and say a favorite song from each decade of my life, but then I realized why they're favorites. They're connected to memories. So depending on what kind of mood I'm in, I am grateful for different types of songs.

When I want a pick-me-up that I can dance to or sing along to with my sisters or girlfriends, I gotta go with Cyndi Lauper.

How can you not feel joy when you hear '80s music in general (ha) – and especially Girls Just Wanna Have Fun? It's just always been a fun song for me.

But I'm also thankful for songs that make me appreciate life and good memories.

I get a lump in my throat every time we sing How Great Thou Art in church. Always think of Grandma Hedberg (must have been sung at her funeral) and that makes me think of my other grandma and all the aunts and uncles I miss, too. So grateful for memories!

When I hear Why Me, Lord? I think of my dad. His favorite song and also an anthem of sorts for him. He had an obstacle or two in life to overcome. Miss him every time I hear it.

For my own anthem, I gotta go to The Story by folk-rock artist Brandi Carlile. (Here's the video.) A few lyrics that are "me."

All of these lines across my face
Tell you the story of who I am
So many stories of where I've been
And how I got to where I am...

and this verse, too:

And all of my friends who think that I'm blessed
They don't know my head is a mess...

Yup. I've been through a thing or two and come out on the better side. Music can be therapeutic and uplifting. I'm so very thankful for that. 

What a song you're grateful for?

#gratitudemonth

No comments: