Monday, June 7, 2010

And You Thought I'd Never Use Algebra

One of the first equations without numbers we all learned in algebra was something simple like this: if a > b and b > c, then a > c. Seems so logical, I thought I'd apply it to real life.

So going into Carter's baseball game tonight, I figured: if Reds > Orioles and Orioles > Brewers, then surely the Reds > Brewers. Right?

There's a reason we said in high school that we'd never use algebra in real life. It'll only get you in trouble. Sometimes those rock-solid thoroughly proven algebraic equations don't add up.

I will say that we could have and should have won. We had a few chances with loaded bases where we could have run up the score. We just couldn't stretch the momentum. In the end, we lost 7-4. But we're pretty OK with that in the Austin household.

Our little lefty finally started swinging.

And that was a good thing. I told him before the game if he didn't get a hit, he'd have to walk home. Hey, it's only 3 miles, if that. I don't know if that was a motivator or the fact that two 6th-grade girls (including his ex, the redhead) were in the stands. Either way, he got moving.

In Carter's first at-bat, he swung at the first pitch and got a foul ball. He had a few balls and ended up striking out. I was so relieved that he struck out swinging, I didn't even mind the out. (Probably some other parents did, but oh well.)

In his second at-bat, I thought he was going to let the pitcher walk him, but all of sudden he's swinging at a pitch he should be swinging at and, lo and behold, he knocks it over the head of the second baseman. Whoo-hoo! We finally have a hit!

(And Carter has a ride home.)

He was pretty jacked about that hit and some good base running (he didn't even slide so no laundry for Mom tonight). I guess it's better late than never. Like Coach Austin said, "One hit does not a season make." So hopefully he'll keep the momentum going into Wednesday's league game and this weekend's tournament games. For that, it's a pretty good time to start hitting.

Let's hope it starts to add up like it's suppose to. (Not that I know anything about math.)

No comments: