Thursday, June 10, 2010

Filling Time

I know there were several versions of that movie Home Alone -- which illustrates some of the "adventures" kids can get into when they are unsupervised, either their choice or otherwise.

Normally I wouldn't have any concerns about Carter being home alone. He's a certified Baby Sitter through the Red Cross. He is too mellow to be much of a hell-raiser. He normally is pretty responsible, too.

But in the back of my mind, I was thinking about Autumn. No, not the season... The girl. The girl who circled her picture in Carter's yearbook this week and, right next to it, Sharpee'd in her phone number. The girl who called Carter twice yesterday after school. The girl we'd never heard of before this week. But now wonder about.

I just hoped she wasn't within walking or biking or scootering distance today when we weren't around. I'm pretty sure she wasn't. But I know they talked on the phone. How do I know? Carter told me while we were on the phone and then, during the same call, said, "I gotta go. I'm getting another call." And it was her again! Boy they sure have a lot to talk about.

Other than that part of his day, Carter did a good job filling time. He ran the dishwasher and, he said, "I was so bored I even put the dishes away!" Now that's a first. He also had me talk him through getting his laundry done, too. I'm pretty sure he didn't just wake up and become a responsible pre-teen. I suspect he's trying to distract us in some way. But we won't let him know we're onto that.

We got home a bit early and the house was still intact. Although his brother Casey said he stopped by and no one answered the door. Apparently, Carter was in the basement watching a Toy Story marathon (in preparation for the new movie) and didn't hear him. So they'll try to connect again tomorrow.

Tomorrow will be another short work day and Home Alone day 'cuz it's game day! Tonight we went over to the Kellner ball fields to help get things ready for the big weekend tournament. Carter's team won't play their first game until 7:30 but I've got concessions from 4:30-6. It will be a busy weekend.

Maybe there won't even be time for girls. We'll see...

No comments: