Wednesday, June 30, 2010

2010 Hump Day

Today is not only your weekly Hump Day but the 2010 Hump Day. After we get over the "hump" at midnight, half the year is done and we are coasting into the second half of 2010. Is that not crazy? Where did the time go?

I can see just from how this week is flying by how 6 months got away from me! Remember in January when I was going to pace myself to get in shape for my summer beach vacation? Wow, just think of how much progress I should have made! Now it's exactly a month away! Yikes.

That's OK. I got some gift cards and a little birthday money so I am going to treat myself to a new swimsuit anyway!

We finally (as my impatient son would say) got to use my birthday smoothie maker tonight. We did a quick trip to the store to stock up on some fruit, yogurt and frozen yogurt. Mixed up our first batch of smoothies and they were delicious (and nutritious). I can see us enjoying these more often than we should this summer! Yummy.

I also got a special gift today from my twin -- who I have yet to connect with this week. Apparently we're both too busy to catch each other on the phone and say "happy birthday." I got a fancy new purse that will make some of you smart people envious -- it's navy blue with a white handle and a nice Twins logo on the side. Sweet!! I'll have to transfer all my "junk" from my old purse so I can show it off. (Thanks, Lene! I still have to mail your gift since I guess I won't be seeing you anytime soon.)

Speaking of special gifts...

I try not to ever take for granted the gifts that God has given me. For example, I try to share my creativity to help others when I can or just cheer someone up. In the past few years, I have been a resource, for lack of a better word, for some friends who need help with the written word. Writing, editing, graphic design. I like doing it and I know some people struggle.

Tonight I got to help someone representing a very worthy cause who simply needed to formulate a thank-you note on behalf of his organization to the conference center that housed their recent convention. I put some general compliments together along with some names he provided and soon we had ourselves a very nice letter. It was not hard to do (for me) and the appreciation from this group makes it worth it.

Do you know that we all have God-given gifts and talents? If you don't think so, just ask a friend and they'll tell you what they love about you -- or even envy about you.

Do you that we praise God every time we share these gifts with others? If you don't think so, just look at the smiling face of the person receiving your gift. Then picture God's smile about a hundred times bigger.

Maybe we can all find something to make 2010 the best year yet -- for ourselves or others. We're only half way. I bet we've got time.

No comments: