Saturday, June 5, 2010

Earth Quenching

My family hit the road after breakfast today. We had a typical hotel continental breakfast for our guests -- scrambled eggs, sausage and cinnamon rolls. I'm still waiting for housekeeping to show up for cleaning detail though.

Seriously, it was great to have company. We live so far from everyone that it's a real treat when family can make it down. I'm glad they didn't stay for Carter's baseball game today 'cuz that didn't go so hot...

The final games for this particular tournament were all at 12:30. So after my parents and sister left, I took a quick 2-mile run, showered and got over to the field for the first pitch. It was not nearly as exciting as last night's game. In fact, the team seemed a bit sluggish. In the end, the Giants beat our Reds 4-0. So we finished 4th -- which was good enough for a trophy in a 6-team tournament. How wrong it that? I mean really, it's nice for kids to get trophies but I think that's really rewarding mediocrity. That's just my humble opinion. I could be wrong.

After the games, co-coach Mike and his wife stopped for a bit. Then I had to run some errands in town. And boy did I run.

I could say I went for 3 runs today. One down the road and then 2 at Wal-Mart running into the store and running out to the car. I mean literally running. It started raining in mid-afternoon and did not let up for several hours. Yes, we need it. The Earth has been mighty thirsty. And who cares if I looked like a drowned rat in Wal-Mart? For once I didn't run into anyone I knew anyway.

The rain finally stopped after 8. Which was a few hours after I made and frosted two cakes plus a batch of Rice Krispy treats for tomorrow's church picnic and cake walk. After I got that stuff done, I finally sat down (felt like the first time in days) and watched some kids movie (The Spy Next Door) with Carter. Not a great movie, but boy was it great to sit down and relax!

I am pretty sure I'll finally get a good night's sleep. Everything smells like fresh rain -- and it's just cool enough out that I've got my blanket on. Sweet dreams!

No comments: