Monday, June 14, 2010

Pitching In

Today was our first day of our "Iola Summer." In other words, Carter started commuting with us to Iola and we dropped him off at Kidz Camp -- basically a child care program at the fitness and aquatic center.

When we picked him up, he reported a great first day back. In fact, being one of the oldest kids there has its privileges. He will get some training in the weight room this summer and do some special fun activities like rock climbing. When we picked him up today, he was inching up the rock-climbing wall in the gymnasium. Cool stuff! (I'll have to bring my camera next week!)

Tonight was our penultimate league baseball game. I ended up pitching in and working the concession stand since another parent did a no-show.

The good thing about it is that it was a crappy, rainy night. (In fact it was called off due to rain, but we still took a loss.)

The bad thing about it is that I missed the game. I knew Carter was going to get to pitch, though, so I sneaked out and snapped a few shots during that brief outing....

Getting his footing.

Making eye contact with the catcher...

Winding up...

Putting some mustard into it...

... And release.
Carter said he did terrible. He did throw some strikes but he also walked 2 guys and hit one batter. So he lasted less than an inning. Which was to be expected since he hasn't practiced pitching like he has batting.
In his words, "I guess I can catch and climb walls, but I can't pitch."
Well, at least he knows his limitations. We should all be so humble.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great pictures Robyn. He'll have to practice for next year. It doesn't always come naturally in an actual game. lene