Wednesday, June 9, 2010

End of an Era (of Sorts)

With graduation behind him, the only thing Carter had to do this week was, basically, show up. Not much learning was going on but he enjoyed his last few days at Grant Elementary School before all of his classmates move onto Middle School ... and none will be moving onto Assumption with him. So it was a bittersweet day for him.

And for Mom, too. But then, when am I not emotional when it comes to my baby?! (Never mind that he is almost as tall as me now. See below, I think he's on his tippy toes, though.... Please...)


For the past 2 years, Carter has been getting himself up and ready for school on his own. Without fail (except those 2 times he overslept), he has called me at work at 7:45 a.m to touch base, tell me all the sports highlights from ESPN and tell me he loves me. I know we don't talk much substance, but I have enjoyed these calls. A lot.

Today when we hung up, I realized, wow, that's the last call. Next year he'll be getting on the bus for 7th grade about the same time we head out to work -- 6:45 ish. No more morning calls. And no, I will not use my loneliness as a reason to get him a cell phone. Don't even bring that up!

This also means Carter is officially "too old" for a babysitter. Today we had to say goodbye to Audrey and her husband Jon, who both have been like second parents to our boy since first grade! They are "good people," as we say, and it has been a joy getting to know them and their family. They have put up with Carter's silly sense of humor and even taught him that physical labor won't kill you! We're all going to miss them.

Good thing they're not too far away. (Plus, we'll always have our garage sale together!)

To cap off Carter's big day, we played the Orioles tonight. I have to take this opportunity to let you know that I was partially right in my math equation. The Reds still are > Orioles. We beat them 6-3. Carter got walked (with a full count) and then had another hit (see above right after he hit). So he didn't have to walk home from Mead -- way on the other side of town. And we officially have won 3 games this season -- all against the Orioles.

We still have 2 regular league games left on Monday and Wednesday. Carter may get to try his hand at pitching. I would hope he knows by now, from catching, that it's a pretty good idea to throw the ball right across the plate ... into the catcher's mitt when possible.

But let's not cross that chalked line until we come to it.

Today we celebrate the end of being a little kid! Yay!

(sob, sob, boo, hoo...)

No comments: