Saturday, June 19, 2010

Old Stomping Grounds


Was back at my old stomping grounds today. Of course, I'm not sure why they call them "stomping grounds." The only stomping I did in Marinette was probably some wicked moves on the dance floor. I know. Let's not go with that visual.

Anyway, not to date myself, but a former co-worker at the newspaper in Menominee (who I've now known for 20 years!) had a graduation party for her son Jake, who was just a toddler when I left the Marinette-Menominee area back in 1994. My how time flies.

Since Carter had 2 tournament games, I had to make the trip alone. That worked out fine. I got to visit with my friend Cindy and her huge family -- who sort of adopted me when I lived there -- and also got to see my friend Sally (another "girl" we worked with) and her family. Just so great to see them all again!

Before I left town, I drove by my old "home" and then cruised over the draw bridge into Michigan so I could get a picture of "my" lighthouse, see my old newspaper office, my old beach and see which bars have closed down since I left town. Purely coincidental, I'm sure.

I drove straight (in a roundabout way) to Stevens Point so I could catch Carter's late game. They lost the early one today in another high-scoring performance, 10-9. Another one-run loss. Dang. Carter did get a nice hit to center field in that one.

Tonight I arrived in the first inning so I did not miss much. I got to see the entire VICTORIOUS game!! Yes, we won one! It was pretty solid, too, 10-6. Unfortunately, we don't advance to the final round tomorrow but at least we ended on a positive note and the kids were fired up. Hopefully, they can carry that momentum into next weekend's tournament!

So it's another late night for us. I really want to go to bed but I haven't been able to locate part of hubby's Father's Day present. I bought something in April or May but can't recall where I hid it. Don't you hate when you hide something so well you can't find it?

I think I'm gonna have to find a different way to make it up to him tomorrow. I guess I could get that haying done. I wonder if I could stomp it instead of cut it. These are my new stomping grounds after all...

No comments: