Friday, April 15, 2011

Freaky Friday

Nothing surprises me about weather in Wisconsin anymore, but it can still be a bit freaky.

After having tornadoes touch down to the north and south of us earlier in the week, we did not need to see "Wind" in the forecast. And frankly, if the winds are steady at 25-35 mph, do we need to add in "Gusts"? Enough already.

I noticed from my window seat at work that the wind was whipping around quite a bit. But when Carter called after he got home from school, I was surprised to hear the wind knocked over our basketball hoop! Thankfully, it it did not break the hoop or pole or shatter the backboard. It could have been worse.

Then, moments later, my co-worker's spouse called and they have trees down in their yard! So I was prepared for the car to be fighting headwinds on the drive home but was not prepared for the sight we were driving into, heading west on Highway 54. The air and skies ahead were kind of brown -- almost like you'd see in a movie about the "dust bowl." Surreal. Then driving next to the farm field and seeing dust fly like you would if someone was plowing -- only no one was there, that was freaky.

Nothing else seemed out of order, though.

Picked up Carter, went out for a fish fry, then it started hailing. We stopped briefly to visit Jim's parents in town, then it was sleeting on our way home. And still windy.

Why do I care? We have approximately 13 hours before the starting gun goes off for Carter's first 5K! At this point, he'd rather go to bed tonight and stay in bed. Who wouldn't? I think my persuasion will have to follow the lines of "Your future races can only get better" or something like that.

I mean we have to do it no matter what. Neither rain nor sleet nor wind nor snow can stop us from getting that T-shirt!

No comments: