Thursday, April 14, 2011

Tune in Tomorrow...

And now, the continuing story...

There were little shock waves in the world of Soaps today when it was learned ABC is canceling both All My Children and One Life to Live.

For those of us who haven't watched a Soap Opera in years, it still was a shock to think of these long-standing "stories" coming to an end. And yes, it spurred much conversation about the Soaps we used to watch. Back in the day. When we had time.

Some of my earliest memories of television were summer vacation days, home with Mom, who had to watch Ryan's Hope and All My Children. I don't remember much about the first one, but I recall AMC back when Phoebe Tyler was the main dame, Erica Kane was only on husband #2 and Palmer Cortland and Adam Chandler first became enemies. I honestly think that is why I've always been afraid of Dobermans. Guess you had to be there. Or were you?

In college, I got hooked on two "new" shows. Well, new to me. I watched Days of our Lives (probably when Stefano had been killed off only 3 times) and General Hospital (when Frisco was hot and there was some weird love triangle with Anna, Duke and Sister Camillia).

OK, apparently I watched a little too much.

And you know, just like my affection for Grey's Anatomy and Glee shows now, the reason they are fun to watch is that my friends are watching them, too, and we can bond over discussions of what happened this week, what we hope happens next week and what might just happen...

If we tune in tomorrow...

No comments: