Saturday, April 30, 2011

Precious Moments

We all know life can change at a moment's notice. Sometimes it can be a good thing -- like the birth of a child or meeting the love of your life. Sometimes, though, it can be a tragedy.

This morning before I went for a run, I was checking the temperature and radar on a local news website when I saw a story on a fatal motorcycle accident that occurred in Iola yesterday afternoon. There were no names listed but I figured there was a chance since it happened in the very little town where I work, I may know someone involved.

It wasn't until later in the afternoon that I learned the motorcyclist killed was a man we used to work with. A super nice guy. And his wife still works with us. What an awful, awful tragedy. I can't stop thinking about it.

It sure makes me appreciate having my loved ones close at hand. Alive and well.

Since this is Carter's birthday weekend and we didn't really have anything special planned, we decided to take him out for ribs tonight. But then on the way to Plover, he decided on a pizza place in Stevens Point instead. Whatever you say, Carter. It's your birthday.

So we went to Polito's in Point, where the slices are as a big as the plate. Carter had a "steak and french fries" and a "mac and cheese" slice. I just had an all-meat one and hubby had 2 supremes. Good stuff.

On the way home, we just had to stop at Belt's Drive-In for a soft-serve treat. Jim and I had "Mini Cadbury Eggs" flurries and Carter had a "Puppy Chow" one. Yummy. Was still so full that I couldn't finish mine!

When we were almost home, Jim had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting a deer. Thank God he stopped in time to avoid an accident. It just reiterated how quickly things can happen.

And reminded me once again we should never take life or our loved ones for granted. Enjoy each precious moment with them!

No comments: