Monday, April 25, 2011

Realistic Expectations

You never know how much your words and actions impact your kids until they mimic them in some fashion and they suddenly, well, just seem plain ridiculous.

Carter is a saver. (Where does he get that?!) Usually silly space-taking things like Gatorade bottle caps, but sometimes money, too. He tends to go in extremes with that. Either it's burning a hole in his pocket or he saves it and suddenly has $60 in his wallet.

After getting a little birthday money already, he was determined to buy some songs off iTunes for his iPod and any PG-13 movie he can now legally lay a hand on. But then last night on the way home from the in-laws, carrying an Easter card with $5 in it from Grandpa and Grandma Austin, he changed his tune.

"I decided I'm not going to spend any money at all until I'm out of college. Then I'll have money saved up for a good life."

First of all, money can't buy a good life. Or is that happiness?

Secondly, if you're not spending it, who is? Mom and Dad are not going to buy everything for you! (But just about.)

Thirdly, is this just because we told you that after a month, there are probably only 49 cents worth of aluminum cans in your bag?

Right now I don't know if this means he's off the go-cart saving track or what. I'll keep you posted. (I sure hope he still wants to take care of Mother Earth and pick up that litter!)

Still, the 10-year saving plan was not the silliest notion of the day...

I'm proud to say I survived 40 days without ice cream. In the end, what did it accomplish? Nothing really. Instead of losing weight, I actually gained because this Lenten deprived soul overcompensated with Easter candy! There's a reason I have a t-shirt that says, "I run on ice cream." It fuels me! And I needed it.

I hadn't had any yet as of last evening, so Carter suggested we have leftover birthday cake and ice cream. But then quickly recanted and announced, while patting his little belly, that he is giving up ice cream.... for life. Yes, life. Seriously, whose kid is this? I swear I gave birth to him but it can't be so!

For fear this would somehow affect my future ice cream consumption, I tried to set him straight. "Carter, you don't need to give up anything! You're fine the way you are. You certainly don't have to give something up for the rest of your life!"

OK, he says, "I guess I can still like go to Dairy Queen or King Cone or Shivers if someone else suggests. It can't be me saying, 'Let's stop.' But it's OK if you do!"

Whew! So there's an out.

I don't have to disown him just yet. I do, however, have to look at my own expectations in a few areas and see if, in an outsider's opinion, they look just as ridiculous!

One thing's for sure. I better log off now and get to the freezer before I go 41 days!

No comments: