Sunday, April 17, 2011

Looks Can Be Deceiving

One of the things Carter enjoys about Art class is drawing optical illusions. He loves creating an image that looks like one thing at first glance but, upon closer inspection, evolves into something entirely different.

Mother Nature drew one of those today.

From inside the house, it looked like one of those sunny spring days that call for some time in the deck chair while the ambitious folks do silly things like rake or plant.

One step outside and it was a completely different picture. Windy and very chilly. Probably reached the 40s today but is was not nearly close to a deck-chair day. And barely became a run day.

Those darn optical illusions!

I decided to tag-a-long with the guys to go to the indoor batting cages. That was fun to watch boys and girls serious about improving their baseball and softball skills... and the devoted dads there helping them!

Got home and figured I better bite the bullet and go for a run. Still get to wear my winter Twins hat! It was one of those weird runs where I ended up facing the wind on my way out and my way back in. It was gusting and switching directions to spite me. And that was not fun. Who needs challenges like that on a Sunday?

This evening, since Jim is gone to a sports board meeting, Carter and I went to Wal-Mart to get a few groceries, some blue baseball socks and Easter treats (while they're still in stock).

With his birthday coming up, we are leaning toward getting him a bike to replace the one he got for his 8th birthday. I guess he's grown a bit. So I let him test-drive a few in the store just so I'd have an idea what is comfortable for him. I warned him, "You know, if you get a new bike, you won't have an excuse to say no when I ask you to go for rides with me this summer." He still wants one. So we'll see.

Now he's practicing his baritone and I'm gonna go make some blueberry smoothies. Hey, it looks like a warm summer day out there. (And this is as close as I'll get to ice cream for one more week!)

No comments: