Friday, April 29, 2011

Royal Standards

If I had royal standards or even knew what they are, I'd say today met them.

I'm not just talking about the Royal Wedding, either. It was a beautiful, sunny Spring-like day -- just in time for May. Not the kind of day a person would want to spend indoors watching TV... except it was a work day anyway... and there were things to watch.

Unlike a lot of people I know, I did not set an alarm and get up early to watch the wedding coverage live. I saw bits of it over breakfast -- but the ceremony was done by 6 a.m. our time -- and then watched a few short videos. I plan to watch a 2-hour 20/20 special on it in a little bit so I am blogging now!

The big news on the way to work was a sign in Amherst that said King Cone was opening today! Whoo-hoo! My favorite real ice cream place! Was looking forward to that all day. But you know what they say about the best-laid plans...

Hubby and I were planning to leave work early so we could take care of a top-secret birthday present mission. Unfortunately, we left too early and King Cone wasn't open yet. They don't have summer hours -- just "school hours" which start after school, not the middle of the afternoon. So that was a bummer.

The good news is that I managed to find 45 minutes of uninterrupted sun time on the back patio. Perfect, perfect weather for that! I could have stayed out longer but had to run into town and get Carter from baseball practice and get a few things done.

The sun is gone now and the cooler, wet weather will be returning shortly. So it will be the perfect evening to lay on the couch and watch wedding coverage. Carter doesn't understand why people care about it. "It's so dumb." Well that's a boy talking to a woman who was his age -- a young teenage girl -- when the first Royal Wedding (in my memory) occurred and captivated us all.

I was always a fan of Lady Di/Princess Di. In fact, I'll always remember the day she died -- August 31, 1997 -- because that is the day I realized I was pregnant with Carter. What started out as a tragic day, ended quite the opposite. How fitting that one life ends and another begins.

So after following Diana's "boys" all these years, yes, I am interested like millions of other people in today's activities. Not so interested I would sacrifice my need for 8 hours of sleep last night. But interested enough to lay claim to the couch and the remote for 2 hours tonight.

Cheers!

1 comment:

Writer Rahn said...

A great post, my friend. I too am a long-time fan of the late Lady Di, and remember their wedding, and the sad day in August '97 too. I think that William and Kate represent the hope so many of us have in a life happily ever after. Certainly not without its challenges and work, but worth ever minute for the reward of sharing it with someone who loves us unconditionally, every day. So, based on that - I guess we are both living royal lives too right? I can hardly believe the brown-eyed bandit is starting his teens! It's been a true honor to watch him from little on - you two are great parents and he's a great young man!