Thursday, April 21, 2011

Son Screen

This was supposed to be a "screen-free week" for the middle school kids. In other words, not just a "No TV Week" but also limited time on video games, computer chatting, etc. Anything with screens, really. You get the idea.

It's a great concept. But it didn't really pan out in our household. Not when one of Carter's classes required him to watch the news every day this week. And certainly not when the Celtics are in the NBA playoffs!

During baseball season, he doesn't get that much free time anyway. So I don't feel too compelled to limit his use. Yet.

I personally can't handle looking at the computer much when I get home because I've got my share of screen time at work. This week, I had even extra time because I was doing a little experiment reading a book digitally on my Netbook.

First of all, the book -- Water for Elephants -- was just OK, not great. Secondly, I'm not sure I am ready to embrace the e-book lifestyle. Not completely anyway.

And certainly not on my Netbook. Despite its petite size, it was still cumbersome to take to bed with me. I'm sure the real e-readers are more parallel to actual books in size so you really can take them everywhere you'd take a book. The other part I didn't like was what I previously mentioned. I don't need more screen time after work. I'm sure my eyes are still a bit strained when I read real-life paper pages, but I don't have to worry about glare from the sun or low battery.

We'll see if I eventually change my mind. In the meantime, I don't need to do anything that'll ruin my eyes.

And Carter should be careful, too, not to look too closely at the TV screen, computer monitor or even at real-life girls. That might ruin your eyes, kid (and your sanity).

I'm just sayin'.

No comments: