Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Against the Wind

The weather today was 80 and sunny with wind gusts up to 20-30 mph. Great day to fly a kite. Not so great day to run. Unless you can figure out a way to run your whole route with the wind at your back -- and have someone pick you up at the end.

If I would have done that, hubby would have had to drive practically to Plover to pick me up. Yup, I don't mean to brag, but I ran 12 miles tonight... and no one was chasing me! I'm pretty sure I can handle that last 1.1 miles tacked on the end to make it a full half-marathon.

I really can't do much bragging though. Carter has been working his tail off in football practice this week. Two-hour practices every afternoon from 4-6 p.m. We knew he was working up a sweat when he uncharacteristically announced after the first day, "I can't wait to take a shower!"

Yesterday's practice was shortened due to a tornado warning. What a bunch of wimps! If they can't handle a little wind, they won't get too far.

I will say the wind made for a tough outing tonight. I did get an unexpected break between miles 8 and 9 when I ran into another "baseball mom" I hadn't seen in awhile. So we chit-chatted in the middle of the road until I realized I better start moving my legs again or they wouldn't move at all!

Thankfully, I made it home before dark -- which seems to be arriving at 8:15 already. A sure sign Fall is right around the corner.

And I don't even want to think about the cold winds that come after that!

No comments: