Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Sky's the Limit

Since today is the last Saturday of summer -- in the mind of a child going to school in a few days -- I asked Carter if there was anything special he wanted to do. Anything. Or I'd come up with a few things.

After a successful early morning appointment at the eye doctor, he said he wouldn't mind heading down to the Adams Flea Market (about a half hour away). "Mom, do you realize we haven't been there all summer?" OK, we don't always go there. Just happened that when we did last year, he started his license plate collection there with a plate from Alaska. So he was on a mission to find another plate -- which he did -- and I was looking for something for my upcoming sister weekend -- which I found.

We actually had a fun time looking at stuff and pondering buying cool crap we don't need. Carter did find some light thing to hang in his room. The tag was asking for $8 or $9. I said, "Why don't you see if they'll take $5 for it." They did! He felt very proud of that moment. In fact, later when he paid "full price" for something, he said, "Well look at how much I saved on that light. It all evens out." I guess.

On the way home, we had to stop at a good ice cream place (yes, I have one in every county). Then it was a little relaxing on the deck, a short bike ride and a trip into town to the annual Children's Miracle Network Balloon Rally.

There was supposed to be a 6 p.m. launch but it was too windy so the balloons that were there stayed on the ground and a few that took off north of town landed. So we got a few pictures (naturally).

Coming in for a landing at the airport -- Alexander Field -- where the crowds were.

Love how colorful the balloons are!

And creative, too. See the fish bowl? Cute.

I also saw some neat photo opportunities facing the setting sun.

Kind of neat silhouette shots!

When I was taking a picture of Carter with a balloon in the background -- way in the background -- that's when I was hit with another creative moment.

Mirror, mirror, on the wall...

Cool, eh? I thought so. I think Carter was happy to be my model... as long as he got cheese curds and a snow cone out of the gig! (Yup, a day with mom means lots of spoiling.)


Since they didn't have the launch, we didn't stay all that long. We went home so Jim and I could go back for a "date" and listen to a band playing there. A friend of ours is the guitarist. So we listened to Surrender Dorothy and watched fireworks at the rally. Huge, huge crowd and we saw quite a few people we know.


Got home and Carter was still up, claiming he missed us. Between my two dates with guys today, I feel pretty loved!


That's what makes for good sleeping weather :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Writer Rahn said...

Sounds like your weekend was superb. Two great days, two great dates, with two great guys, for one great lady!

Robyn Austin said...

Thanks, T! You know these Austin boys are pretty easy to take ;)