Thursday, August 25, 2011

Geek Squad

I'm not sure how I earned the reputation, but I am the live-in Geek Squad at our house. (Don't worry Steve Jobs, even when you're gone, I can't touch Apple or find my way around a Mac!)

But somehow, I can "fix" the PC/computer when it doesn't work, the printer when it quits printing, hook up the home theater system for a Blu-Ray player (when I don't even know what Blu-Ray is) and tonight, restore sound to the TV.

I got home at 9:30 or so and the first thing I notice is the silence. I thought the guys were in bed but then I hear hubby on the phone in the living room while he and Carter sit in front of the TV. When Jim hangs up, I don't hear the TV yet and am quickly informed they've been watching without sound for an hour or so -- but "no one touched anything" so it's no one's fault it happened! It just suddenly became soundless.

So I figure I should investigate since I assumed they explored all options. I get the owner's manual out. Yes, it's conveniently located in the TV stand where anyone can access it. Then look under "troubleshooting" and learn how to do a sound check. Did the sound check and heard sound. But when it was done, there was silence. The manual said it could be our signal. But since the TV downstairs was working fine, we figured that couldn't be it.

But wait, our upstairs TV gets a signal now from a separate HD box. How about turning that off and on? I ended up resetting the power strip and once it all loaded back up, ta-da! We have sound.

I'll let you in on little secret about being a Geek Squad member. When all else fails, you just shut the thing (whatever the thing is) off. Wait 30 seconds and turn it back on again. Even if you have to force it off by resetting the power strip, this is what you have to do. And it works 9 times out of 10.

Just don't tell anyone else in my house about that. I want them to think I'm smart. Plus they might be so grateful, they'll pay me.

In ice cream.

No comments: