Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Black & White

I didn't know it then, but I was born during a turbulent time in the late '60s. As a nation we were fighting enemies in other countries and fighting each other on U.S. soil. Sadly, it was more than 100 years after the Civil War and we were still treating Blacks like second-class citizens.

And getting away with it.

Any time I read or view news coverage or stories (fiction and non) about that time period, I am ashamed at our behavior. Really ashamed. And sad. Sure we've made progress, but we have so far to go. We are still so judgmental. Maybe it's not Black & White now, maybe now it's Rich & Poor or Gays & Straight or Republicans & Democrats.

Trust me, I'm not casting any stones. I was just reminded of all this again tonight.

My girlfriend and I went to see the movie The Help. We've both been wanting to read the book but haven't gotten our hands on it yet. So to break from our usual behavior, we saw the movie first.

I won't spoil it. All I can tell you is that it is all kinds of excellent. Really excellent.

Without giving it away, the previews will tell you, too, this is a story set in the 1960s when Black people were hired to work in White people's homes as "the help." One of the main characters is a girl like me, working as a journalist but aspiring to be a novelist. She decides maybe her big story is actually their story.

That's all I'm going to say. Just see it. If you do anything before Summer draws to a close in the next week or so, go see The Help.

The only thing about it you might not like is what it does to you. It makes you think. And makes you wonder. Are we still judging people by the color of their skin? Do we judge people for other reasons?

Can we stop?

I don't know, but I had a good talk with God on the drive home. It's certainly something I'll strive for.

No comments: