Sunday, August 28, 2011

Steps in the Right Direction

Since Carter was home last week by himself, I pretty much said there was only one thing he had to get done in his "free time"... Clean his room.

Yes, that is a multi-day project. And yes, he wisely broke it up in little increments so it wouldn't seem so overwhelming.

On Day One, he cleaned out his dresser, removing all pants, socks and underwear that no longer fit. Some that haven't fit since kindergarten! On Day Two, he proudly proclaimed, "I can do homework on my desk now!" And on Day Three, he hit the jackpot: "I can see my floor!"

Of course, evil Mom with the critical eye cannot see much of a difference. Sort of like he pushed the "piles" out to the edge of the room. Granted, very neat piles.

But I didn't say anything. I am pleased he is taking some steps in the right direction. Also pleased he bagged everything up for me so I can either mark it for the annual spring garage sale or give it to Goodwill or toss it.

Today I decided to do my part of the project. But before I could sit inside messing with that fun stuff, I made sure I got my sunshine and some steps of my own.

Hubby took a long walk this morning so while he was out, I ran 4 miles, stopped home and saw Carter was still sleeping (at 10:30!) then grabbed a cold water bottle and walked until I met hubby on the road so we could finish up together.

"There. Now I won't feel bad about sitting inside today." Part of it, too, was that I had borrowed some movies from a girlfriend -- mainly for Carter -- but I wanted to see one before I took them back to her today.

So after lunch, hubby and I became the last two Americans to see the movie The Blind Side. And absolutely loved it! I bet you're thinking we sure don't watch movies very often if we're that far behind the times. And you're right.

I was glad to finally see it. And before the final credits rolled, multi-tasking me was glad to price up all the clothes headed for the garage sale box.

Of course, by then it was much too late in the afternoon to even think about starting another "clearing house" project, so I sat on the deck and finished a book.

It might feel gratifying taking some steps in the de-cluttering direction, but it sure feels good to soak up some Summer while it's here!

Baby steps...

No comments: