Monday, October 24, 2011

10-Step Prorgam

Since 12-step programs have met with so much success, I thought I'd try to a 10-step one to see if it works even better. I can tell you, after 10 days, it is awesome. In a super yummy way.

Oh, I'm talking about the 10-day process of making Amish Friendship Bread. What did you think I was talking about?

I got a "starter" batch and instructions from someone at work. If you've never experienced this, I guess I can equate it to a pyramid scheme for people who like to bake.

Someone gives you a "starter" in a gallon Ziploc bag. You mush it (that's the technical term) twice a day for 5 days, add some ingredients on day 6, then mush it until day 10 when you add more stuff, divide a cup each into 4 bags (for friends you beg to take it) and then use the remaining batter to mix up the rest of the bread. It's got a super tasty cinnamon flavor to it so it's no wonder people keep making it.

On baking day, the bakers (that's me tonight) have to decide if they are ending their role and giving all 4 bags of "starter" away or keeping them. It can be a vicious cycle when you run out of people to take them and/or you don't want to bake anymore. I have tossed the "starter" before just to end it. (Probably breaking some sacred law.)

My only bad experience with this was about 5 years ago when I last did this -- and there's a reason. It was summer time, the bag got heated, too much air built up and, like a funny cartoon, exploded. All over the kitchen. It dried hard and we were scraping it off for months. I think we might have had to use turpentine or something to finally get it off.

Now that my 5-year ban has expired, I figured I would give this Program another shot. It worked! I already have plenty of people wanting the "starter" bags, too, but after tasting my first big piece tonight, washing it down with a glass of eggnog, I am definitely keeping one of them for myself!

I'll just have to coincide it with an 11-step exercise program to keep ahead of it.

No comments: