Thursday, October 20, 2011

Last of the Mohawk-ans

I'm going to have to re-read yesterday's blog post to remind myself how wonderful motherhood is and how awesome boys are... even when they don't listen... and even when they go off on their own in some dark corner of the school during a volleyball game and get a Mohawk!

Yes, even then.

Well, it sort of went like that.

The Assumption volleyball team is the No. 1 seed in the regional playoffs so we went tonight to support the team. Plus Carter played in Pep Band beforehand. That was an issue right there. He didn't really want to play tonight so he putzed at home and got there as the band was already playing and didn't seem to move any faster to join them.

So he was already on my list. Yes, moms have those lists, too.

I didn't see him at all for the first game, assuming he was putting his instrument away and sitting with friends. Since I was talking to a girlfriend, I didn't notice where hubby was sitting either. Sometime in the second game, though, Jim comes over and says, "Your boy is in the cafeteria getting a Mohawk." Say what?

"Who said he could do that??" I asked. I could tell by the look on Jim's face who gave him permission. Good grief. So of course since I had my camera with I figured I better capture the action. I missed it though. And just saw his somewhat crooked 'do when it was all over. I'm not happy.

Sure he's done with school pictures and football is over. So then what's the point of getting one? To show school spirit for volleyball of all things? I don't think so. Here I was led to believe "a bunch" of boys were getting them. But I only saw Carter and one other boy had gone under the knife. I heard some of them saying, "My mom wouldn't let me." I said, "Carter's mom wouldn't either, but she wasn't asked."

I know it's not a big deal in their minds -- those junior high boys and those "grown-up boys" -- but moms don't always like surprises. It makes me fear tattoos and piercings down the road. Yikes.

And Carter will still smile at me like he did tonight and say, "C'mon, Mom. You know you still love me."

Yes, dear. But let's not push it.

By the way, we won all 3 games tonight so we advance in the playoffs. Must have been all that school spirit!

No comments: