Monday, October 17, 2011

Off-Season

I feel for the Milwaukee Brewers fans who begin their off-season today thanks to the mighty bats of the St. Louis Cardinals.

I know their pain. The Yankees have shattered our (as in the Twins') post-season hopes more times than I care to count in the last decade. We certainly didn't have to worry about that this year. But I moved on weeks if not months ago.

Now we are just entering the off-season in our house. That brief period of time -- 2 weeks, maybe 3 -- between middle school football and basketball. How unusual to have Carter ride the bus home and have his homework done when we walk in the door after work. Very much a treat when we had many past-9 p.m. nights of school work on game nights. Not fun.

He also had time to blow his bugle, as Daddy calls it, and will have plenty of time to read tonight, too. I am hoping for a productive start to Hex 2, the next grading period, which starts today.

I am also in my off-season. After being gone pretty much 5 out of the last 6 weekends, my schedule has cleared. No more girls' weekends away, no more races (running or stock car), no more scrapbooking. At least not in the immediate future.

So I had time to work out after supper and even putter around online for half an hour or so looking up family tree stuff. It suddenly seems like so much time on our hands when we're not running here or there or at home getting ready for some upcoming event.

I'm loving this! I'm thinking of it as a much-deserved break. I'm sure I won't have time to get bored, and I suspect it will get busy again sooner rather than later. Heck, I might even get time to write.

Or finally catch up on Glee.

Priorities, you know.

No comments: