Thursday, October 27, 2011

Tough Loss

It's been a week of some tough losses. Oh don't worry -- I'm not going back to the Packer-Viking game. That outcome was pretty much expected anyway.

I'm always reminded, though, that even if we expect things, it doesn't always make it easier to handle them.

Some friends of ours lost an uncle/brother this week. He was quite sick with cancer so it was inevitable. But even with the end in sight, it was hard for some to let go. I can't blame them. Just because we know someone is going to die and just because we have the chance to say "goodbye" doesn't mean their loss doesn't hurt. It doesn't mean we won't miss them.

Hubby and I dropped Carter off at school to play Pep Band for volleyball then we went to the funeral home. We waited in line a long time and it was obvious by the visitation crowd that "Uncle Wally" was well loved and respected. His loss will be felt by many.

After greeting family and friends, we headed back over to the school for the sectional matchup between our Royals and the Wausau Newman Cardinals. During the 2 regular season meetings, Wausau kicked our butt. Tonight our girls played their hearts out and kept it close, but in the end, their season was over and they were sent home while Newman advances in their quest for state.

It was so sad to see our disappointed girls try to hold it together. For the seniors, that's got to be so tough to realize that was their last high school volleyball game. Ever. I can see why they were crying. Even I got a lump in my throat and I don't even have a kid playing! (I do appreciate my friends who let me use their girls for my "daughter fix." I was pretty sad, too.)

A very tough loss. But I see basketball right around the corner so they can't be down for long. Easier said than done, I'm sure, but I have it on good authority God always has something better for us right around the corner.

Sometimes we just have to let go so our hand opens up and He can place something new there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's hard sometimes to "open our hand to God" when we have it clenched in fear and anger. I know! R#1