Thursday, October 6, 2011

Seasonal Transition Disorder

I don't know if summer has transitioned to fall and then transitioned right back or what. But it is becoming quite a challenge going to work when clearly Mother Nature is telling us to stay home or detour to a golf course or something.

Today, as it reached 80 again, I wisely did not go out for a walk during lunch. At this age, I know my limitations. And I know I have no willpower to go back inside to a desk job when the mercury is up and there are maybe 4 clouds in the entire sky. So I wistfully observed it out my window.

We kept the summer theme going tonight, though, and had a new flavor of bratwurst from Ski's Meat Market. Remember, this is the place that serves up everything from Beer Beer brats to Bloody Mary brats, Buffalo Chicken brats and everything in between. Their new end-of-summer flavor: Caribbean Jerk. Oooooh, good stuff! A different kind of spicy hot. Me like.

The summer racing season is also officially drawing to a close for our nephew Colin. This is Oktoberfest Race Weekend in La Crosse. He is racing tonight (he qualified 4th out of 46 drivers) and Friday night, then qualifying (keep your fingers crossed) on Saturday for a final race on Sunday. Looks like the weather is going to cooperate so we're hoping he has a super fast weekend!

In the midst of all the summer stuff is a typical fall week of Homecoming activities at Assumption. They really only have 2 dress-up days. Today was cowboy/hillbilly day and tomorrow is spirit day.

Carter put on a straw hat, some fake "hillbilly teeth" and a flannel shirt and was fine with that. I think he was a bit shy and conservative but now that he saw how everyone else dressed, he really wants to go gung-ho for spirit day. I still have blue hair paint left from last year -- but most of it is still on the bathroom ceiling. I know what you're thinking... I didn't exactly think that one through. My bad. We'll do it up right tomorrow.

In the meantime, I'll deal with that other lovely thing that comes with the transition from summer to fall then back to summer, then fall again... allergies. I'm only medicating at night since it tends to make me drowsy while typin.... wish me luc........

No comments: