Thursday, October 13, 2011

I Sold My Soul For Ice Cream

About a year ago, we got a new Schwan's Man on our route. It didn't take him long to make my list. And I don't mean my Bucket List or my Christmas Wish List. I mean THE list. The bad one.

The problem was that he didn't take my love for Peppermint Stick ice cream seriously. I mean when I tell him I bought out the last Schwan's Man's inventory at the end of the previous holiday season, I'm not joking around. Needless to say when he did not keep any units of the scrumptious green stuff on hand, he got on that list.

Then this spring, he moved right up that list when I learned he is a Detroit Tigers fan. What? Who the heck is a Tigers fan? Well I do enjoy a friendly competition among Central Division fans, so I just keep paying for my Schwan's goodies with my Twins checks and he keeps taking him. If I didn't know any better, I'd say he doesn't mind at all. He just wants to make the sale. Hmm.

Fast forward to tonight. Now I have been gone for several of the recent Thursdays he has stopped by. But tonight is my "pack for Crop-toberfest" crunch time, so I was home.

He rings the door bell but keeps his hands behind his back. It's dark out so I don't know what he has and I say that he better not having anything Tiger related back there. (For those who don't follow baseball, the Tigers are currently in the playoffs and the Twins, well, didn't come close.) So he says, "No, but you have to pledge to cheer for the Tigers this weekend if you want what I brought."

Hey, it's the Schwan's Man so it has to be good, right?

Oh, it was very, very, very good!

From behind his back, he pulls out not one but TWO containers of Peppermint Stick ice cream! I'm almost embarrassed to say I squealed in delight... and Carter rolled his eyes and left the room.

Of course, coming from a Tigers fan, I had to ask: "OK, now did you find these left over from last year? Or are these new?"

"New!" he said. "I've been driving around with these all day and I saved them for you!"

OK, he's off the list.

And he did just say pull for the Tigers this weekend. If they make it to the World Series, I hope I am cheering for the Brewers instead...

while eating my Peppermint Stick ice cream.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Inquiring minds want to know.... did you "squeal" like that for Jim coming home?