Thursday, July 5, 2012

Beyond Cool

Hot temperatures aside, attending the U.S. Women's Open was one of the coolest things I've done in a long time!

My niece Caryn and I hit the road to Kohler at about 6:30 a.m. We only had one potty stop on the way and got there in about 2 1/2 hours. Everything was very well marked the last 30 miles so it was easy to find the parking lot, the shuttle bus and Black Wolf Run Golf Course.

First thing we did was check out the Lexus tent. We saw a sign there that Annika Sorenstam was going to be there for autographs at 3 p.m. and we wanted to be sure if our favorite female golfer (now retired) was seriously gonna be there. Yes, she will be, they said. While you're here, do want your picture taken?

Of course we did! Here we are showing some love to the U.S. Open Championship Cup! It's the real one with names engraved and everything. I asked, "Can we kiss it?" They said yes, we could kiss it and hold it but just couldn't lift it. I'm sure they wanted no one to break it! We did get a second shot of us both with our lips planted on it. That one went to Caryn's email so I'll have to get that from her.
We also could get out picture taken "virtually" with on one of four golfers. Lexus sponsors. I chose Nick Watney. Doesn't it look like I'm resting my head on his shoulder? Fun stuff.

Then it was onto golf. We learned that they were selling water 2 for 1 just to encourage people to stay hydrated. We walked around and found shady spots to catch the action. But sat or stood in the sun when we had to, too.  At one point Caryn's phone registered 103 degrees. There was no wind until about 3:30 in the afternoon. So we were basically dripping wet but we made sure to hydrate. I wouldn't be surprised if we each had 7 or 8 bottles of water. But we survived.

And it was sooooo coool to see golfers you only see on TV now standing just a few feet away -- veterans like Julie Inkster and Se Ri Pak, the very young 15-year-old Lexi Thompson and pretty in pink Paula Creamer. Tiger Woods' niece Cheyenne Woods was playing, too, and walked just 5 feet in front of us.

It was really a good time. We headed back towards the entrance shortly after 2 to get in line for Annika. First we stopped in the merchandise tent -- which was air conditioned!! We each bought a U.S. Open flag for Annika to sign and I also purchased a golf shirt with the Open logo.

We got in line plenty early and didn't have long to wait at all. Annika was so gracious. She signed both my flag and a picture of her and, then, the big thing....
Let me get my picture taken with her. I did tell we were sort of "Swedish sisters" since I am 3/4 Swede! I got goose bumps. I mean what a legend!!

After that, Caryn and I were both on Cloud 9 so it suddenly felt cooler out. Ha. We did find a spot in the shade at the 18th green so we hung out there awhile to watch some tough putting there. After about 8 hours in the heat, we decided to head home. What a day!

We stopped in Fond du Lac to eat (the bank clock there said 102 degrees at 6 p.m.!). We stopped at King Cone in Plover so I could introduce her to that treasure... plus get ice cream for us and the boys, who spent the day inside enjoying air conditioning and playing video games.

Now Caryn and Anthony have hit the road to head back to Minnesota... and I really need to hit the shower for a long overdue rinse! After such a "cool" day, a cold shower may be in order!

No comments: