Saturday, July 21, 2012

It's Show Time

Wisconsin Rapids is always home to the Water Ski State Tournament in July. The competition takes place on Lake Wazeecha, less than 2 miles away, but we have rarely gone to see it. Usually there's always something else going on or we're out of town.

Today, since we didn't have a graduation party to go to until after 3, hubby and I walked over to the lake and caught some of the action. First of all, while we really have nothing to compare it to, it impressed the heck out of us. Basically, if you can even water ski "normally," you have skills I can only dream of. The teams in this show competition don't do anything standard or boring.

We happened to catch the Muskego Water Bugs do their show, based on the Disney Shrek movies. Yup, there's not just skiing, there's a story to be told, too.

Since I had my camera (of course) I thought I'd share some of Wisconsin's finest in action...
Large, hot crowd lines Red Sands Beach on Lake Wazeecha.

Lined up and ready to go!
Here come the Water Bugs.
"Shrek" makes an appearance.
Fiona's "bridesmaids" do a dance on the dock before simultaneously leaving on skies.

I'm impressed they can go from dock to water and even more impressed they all did it. Didn't lose a single bridesmaid!
Look mom, no hands!
A little backwards fancy footwork.
I loved the pairs ski. Reminded me of figure skating!
"Fiona" gets a lift.

That takes balance -- and strength.
This trio had two jumpers and one sneak below.

A little airborne fun!
Reach for the sky!
A farewell shot.
Somewhere in there is a barefoot skier! Crazy. But darn cool.

It would be fun to see some more of this. I'll have to mark my calendar for next year!

No comments: