Sunday, December 22, 2013

Oh, is it Finally Winter?

Since it's officially winter now -- in case you were wondering -- we could have had quite the adventurous trip home today.

We stayed at the famous Luck Country Inn last night, then met my sister Rayna and Mom at the attached restaurant for breakfast. We hit the road by 9:30 a.m. because it had been snowing back at home for maybe 6 or 8 hours already.

The first 2 hours of the commute were fine. (Carter did NOT drive today.) But then from Eau Claire and on, it was slippery road conditions.

You know it's winter when we see a truck upside down in the ditch. We think its collision with the guard rail upended it. That was a pretty good sign to slow down. We saw at least one other vehicle in the ditch and a few banged-up vehicles to boot. You know how they say accidents happen closest to home? Well, we didn't get into an accident, don't worry, but we just missed one at an intersection 5 minutes from home. One of the two crashed cars had the traffic light laying across its roof, windshield and hood. Ouch!

It was such a relief to get home! AND to get home to a snowblown driveway. Santa sure has some nice elves in our neighborhood!

There was a brief break in the snowfall and it started up again in late afternoon. I think we only got a couple of inches here. I know east and southeast, they got much more. Finally, someone else's turn.

After unpacking and putting the extra "stuff" (a.k.a wonderful presents) away, I looked at our mail from the weekend. There was a special package for me! No, I was not going to wait until Christmas to open it!

It was from my high school BFF Julie with a note, "I thought of your Dad when I saw this!" It's a cute little milk can! He used to haul milk and we had flowers on milk cans at his funeral. What a precious gift!

Now I have two ornaments to show you from the weekend!

The one on the right was given to me by my twin yesterday. For some reason she has this reason I like ice cream and that I like mint chocolate. Santa must have given her the inside scoop on that one (pun intended)!

Both found a home on our tree right away today. And serve as another sign of holiday spirit.

I suppose the fresh snow does, too. But let's not give Ol' Man Winter any credit on his first day!


No comments: