Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Hump Day Happenings

Guess what day it is? Guess. What. Day. It. Is! Well, apparently, it's Hump Day but it felt like a Monday since it was the first day back in the office this month. (Ha.) Some of the highlights...

Layer Cake: While I did get to work today, it took me well over an hour. The roads were caked with layers of ice, snow and slush. Not a fun drive, but I was determined I better put on my big girl pants and get used to this! The drive home was better since the temps rose above freezing during the day and melted some of the ice.

Dream Catcher (or Kicker): Visions of sugar plums are overrated. This morning's conversation...
  • Hubby: Did you sleep well last night? 
  • Me: Yes, why?
  • Hubby: About 4:30 you were kicking at me.
  • Me: Oh, that's right. I dreamt we had joined a soccer league and I kept missing the ball.
Hope his shins are OK. I was really struggling to make contact with the ball!

Stan the Man: Got some sad news today. The 97-year-old nursing home resident I called Spry Stanley has died. He was such a warm-hearted spirit. He was so good to my dad, encouraging him every day not to give up. He was just so positive and a joy to get to know during our two months of visiting there this spring. I sure hope he was surrounded by loved ones in the end. I'm sure he wasted no time reconnecting with Dad up in heaven. Lots of stories to be told yet around the dinner table. Bless you, Stanley.



Doing Some Good: I get to report for Red Kettle Duty the next three Wednesdays. After several years of doing this, I am learning a few things. Time goes slowly when you are flying solo. So tonight, since I was ringing by myself, I downloaded some Mannheim Steamroller Christmas tunes onto my phone to play. I tried ringing the bell to the beat of the music. I can tell you with certainty, I would fail any audition for a Hand Bell Choir. Uff da. I think people were giving me money to stop. This one woman said, "You know, some people sing while doing this." I bet that would boost the "hush fund" even more. Something to think about for next week...

Off Key: While I do enjoy singing Christmas carols, I couldn't have tonight anyway. I have been "ignoring" a sore throat the last few days and now it's to the point I need to take it seriously. So, naturally, I went straight to McDonald's after my bell-ringing shift to get an eggnog shake. (My first of the season, mind you.) If that doesn't do the trick, I also stopped at the store for some backup cough drops and that Emergen-C stuff. Probably the shake will work best, though. They don't have an MD in McDonald's for nothing.



No comments: