Thursday, December 5, 2013

What Day Again?

Guess what day it is? OK, it's not Hump Day but it sure felt like Winds-Day.

With 35 mph gusts, it definitely was our first legitimate windchill. And I did not like it. While I did like that the wind appeared to have dried off the roads overnight, it was wicked chilly outside.

And inside.

While I've been careful not to mention it too often, we have had major challenges with consistent heating at work. In other words, wearing long underwear and two long-sleeved layers plus my coat and a "lap blanket" have not been enough some days.

Today was one of them.

Apparently the boiler that is directly responsible for our sector's heat, is missing something important, like a heating element. When that arrives, it should be all good. Until then, it's every man, woman and snowman for himself. Personal size heaters are not allowed due to fire hazards.

So I made an executive decision at the end of work today that since the temps are going to dip below zero tonight, I am not going to chance it by going to the office tomorrow and shivering through the day. I am going to crank the heater next to me in my office at home -- and hopefully stave off a visit to the throat doctor one more day. It does feel a little bit better anyway.

Well enough for me to get together with some friends tonight for coffee and cake. While I was stuffing my face, Carter had some behind-the-wheel time with the driver's ed instructor and then he and Dad went to the Assumption boys basketball game. We won.

We all got home about the same time and now I am desperately waiting for my bed to heat up so I can get to sleep.

And put Winds-Day behind us!


No comments: