Monday, March 17, 2014

Irish Blessing?


Happy St. Patrick's Day! Or as I like to call it, Shamrock Shake Day! (Even though I didn't have one.)

The weird thing about St. Patrick's Day is everyone seems to acknowledge it -- even if they are 100 percent Scandi-hoovian like me. My husband, and consequently my son, have a wee bit of Irish in them. They both would have appreciated a true Irish Blessing if I was home.... Woke up with absolutely no voice.

Squeaked my way through the first half of the day. Then managed to make myself heard by midafternoon. Will keep drinking (that's what we do on St. Patty's Day, isn't it?) to keep my throat lubricated. I will skip the green beer, though, and stick with water. Lots of it. Just glad the hard part of the day is over.

As luck would have it -- and some luck is fitting today -- we wrapped up conference meetings and such at 5:35 p.m. Why do I know the exact time? Those of you who know me well can guess.

"Ohmigosh I have time to sit outside before the sun sets!"

Although the temps have been nice since my arrival (according to my phone's weather app), I was only outside to board the cab at the airport and disembark at the hotel. Knowing I had about 20 minutes before the sun set tonight, or at least the pool area with chairs closed, I didn't waste any time.


I didn't bother trying to get up to my room to change. I carried my purse and two bags with stuff and just plopped down on a chair in the sunshine. At least I had short sleeves on. But still long pants and shoes. Who cares? I was sitting in the sun and it was 82 degrees. Despite winds at a constant 20 mph, I braved the windchill just fine.

We'll see if maybe that was a cure for what ails me. Knowing our schedule the next two days, that little dose is pretty much gonna have to do it. Sadly.

Ah well. That's why they call it work. After hearing the winter-storm weather reports for back in Wisconsin, I'll take it.

It's like my personal Shamrock Shake blessing!


No comments: