Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Treasure Chest


After much deliberation and soul searching, I have decided to give up winter for Lent.

Don't you wish it was that easy?

Actually, I had pondered a few things I should deprive myself of during the next 40 days. Even with our Lutheran "get out of Lent free" card, I do want to do something that could change something or someone. Maybe even me.

I did not get to Ash Wednesday church services tonight but that doesn't mean I am not in the right frame of mind. As it turned out, Carter and I went to the church for the 5:30 soup supper. When we saw tonight's flavors were not in tune with our palates, we went to Culver's instead.

We had all intentions of going back for 6:30 services, but then I got a text from a friend in need. I dropped Carter off at home and went to her house to help her cope with a life-changing crisis. I realized a few things. The most important was that the people in our lives and our hearts -- and our relationships with them -- are the most important thing.

Things, though, are not that important. But some of us cling to things -- or treasures (as referenced above) -- as we would a loved one about to walk out of lives for good. We get clingy, greedy and selfish. Let me hold onto these treasures. They are mine! 

We lose sight of the real treasures around us.

When I stumbled upon this challenge tonight after I got home, it came to me quite clearly what I need to do.

What an excellent Lenten challenge! You can read more about it here (http://www.whitehouseblackshutters.com/40-bags-in-40-days-2014/). 

It definitely hit home with me. That and that beautifully organized pile of hoodies I can't part with. I know I won't fill a bag with them but I'm sure I can find more than two to bid farewell. Guess I can add the other closets to my "progress grid." I'll let you know how it goes.

In the meantime, I am still going to try to give up winter. Thank you for your support.


No comments: