Saturday, March 29, 2014

Mission Impossible






While Carter slept soundly in bed this morning, hubby and I were out of the house by 8 a.m. on a secret shopping mission.

After some recent discussion, we decided that perhaps I could use a "new to me" vehicle to beat in the ground on my 90-mile round-trip commute each day. And, consequently, "my" current Honda Civic would become custody of one new 16-year-old.

It was just a thought. We really hadn't planned on giving anyone a car for his birthday. And as beginner's luck would have it, we may not.

After some Internet research, we found a vehicle to suit my needs (yes, another Honda Civic). Unfortunately, when we got to the lot in Green Bay this morning, it had been sold. There's really no way we could have gotten over there any sooner in the week, so that is how things go.

We also looked at some other used cars on our route home, including a "very used" vehicle as old as Carter. Carter seems to be holding up better, though, and we passed on the idea of him driving something we didn't feel 100% comfortable in.

So we're back to square one and thankful we have time on our side. And Carter is none the wiser.

Oh wait, the secret's out?

Apparently so. Because when he drove me to Plover later, Carter mentioned the morning shopping-less spree. Great. He assured me that if he does get wheels for his birthday, though, he "will still act surprised." Whatever. I suppose it's better than his original birthday request he mentioned last week.

"If I just get a car and Eminem tickets for my birthday, that will cover the next few years of birthdays." Oh, OK, we'll get right on that. And certainly let you drive 9 hours to a rapper / rock concert in Detroit this summer.

You bet. Happy birthday.




No comments: